In 1816, the far-sighted Marco Lomellini planted the first vineyards at La Lomellina di Gavi, thereby starting our long winemaking tradition. We know the exact year thanks to an epigraph reporting the following words (translated):
“… after restoring the uncultivated and abandoned soil with vineyards, crops, and plants, he [Marco Lomellini] opened, leveled, and fortified a road, and, lest the new farm lacked anything, [re]built this estate. AD 1816.”. Count Edilio Raggio, 1890
In April 1844, the Lomellini sold the estate to Raffaele De Ferrari, Duke of Galliera. In the 1890s, the estate changed ownership again. It was purchased by Count-Marchese Edilio Raggio, (mentioned above), a wealthy and energetic entrepreneur from Genoa. The Count-Marchese expanded the vineyards and fostered the introduction of the Cortese grape variety.
Those same years marked important advancements in winemaking technology and the beginning of the history of Gavi DOCG from the Comune di Gavi, one of the finest wines from Piemonte.
The people working at La Lomellina form a heterogeneous group. Our staff includes agronomists, vineyard technicians, controllers of the grape quality, winery technicians, oenologists, and seasonal harvesters.
Each of them is a qualified professional playing an essential role. In recent years, our wines have met with big success thanks to the combined effort of these persons and of the estate proprietors.